Access Statement Tintern Abbey Cottage
We are always happy to discuss any aspect of the cottage and its suitability for your holiday, and to describe the cottage and its features to you over the telephone. Please call us on 01600 860341 from within the UK or +44 1600 860341 from overseas.
We can supply photographs of any aspect of the cottage on request if this assists you.
This body of this document has been set in 14 pt using Arial as the type face.
Inside the cottage, we maintain a visitors guide to the facilities, information about the locality as well as other important information including contact numbers for the local emergency services and hospitals.
We welcome registered Assistance dogs free of charge and the information pack also includes contact details for local Vets with a 24hr service including callout.
The old cottage building is unfortunately not wheelchair friendly.
It is possible to enter the house from the parking area without using any steps by going via gently sloping grass lawns and along slate chipping paths but doors are not really wide enough for wheelchair access.
The ground floor can be used by people reliant upon zimmer frames but you may require assistance getting into and out of the bath / shower as the shower is over the bathtub. The bath is standard height.
The space within the en suite bedroom between the end of the bed and the bathroom is not great but it is just possible to pass along to the bathroom with a zimmer frame. Beds can be repositioned on request and the room can be organised as a twin or as a superking double.
There are no steps within the ground floor of the house . There is a small ramp kitchen to dining room and another from en suite bedroom to the dining room. These ramps are surfaced with the same porcelain tiles as the rest of the flooring. They are further painted with a slip resist treatment. Nevertheless like all hard floors they are inclined to be slippery and we recommend rubber soled slippers and not socks. They are however better for those with mobiliy problems than the step they each replaced.
The paths throughout the property garden comprise a dense layer of slate chippings.
Private off-road car parking
Accessed through gates leading off the Abbey Hotel "additional" car parking which is at the rear of the property
Suitable for three family estate (eg VW Passat) cars or four very small cars.
Slightly sloping surface covered with slate chippings.
Lockable storage shed advertised for golf clubs and cycles is also available for wheelchairs and buggies.
From car parking 2 concrete Steps down to the path to the cottage (handrail on the right hand side)
4m from the bottom of the steps by the parking to the cottage back door step. PIR lighting to the steps.
Back Door (main access to the cottage)
Illuminated by porch light operated by PIR movement sensor
- Silver finish set against a blue door with glass inserts
- Digital key pad requires keys to be pressed in a sequence
- Located approximately 1.2 m from floor level
- Door opened and closed by turning a knob.
- There is also a front door accessible from the parking by slate paths around the house and gently sloping lawns. This longer route ( approx 40 m ) avoids steps altogether.
Inside the cottage
Standard rocker type switches and push and turn knobs to operate the dimmable ceiling and wall lights
Touch sensitive bedside lights in all bedrooms
The doors are standard door heights
Locks and latches
- Black in colour set against white doors
- Traditional latches which have to be lifted up
- Swivel “toggle” latch in one instance
Slate style tiling throughout
Stairs and Upstairs
Tiled floor - light luminescent effect
Turn handle to operate / latches and stays
Push to open and pull to shut
- Independently controlled using twist thermostatic valve on each radiator.
- Twist knob
Décor and colour contrasting
- Walls and doors throughout the cottage are painted White, except as follows:
- One wall Crimson
- Seating Red
- Floor Dark grey/slate black
Kitchen units are luminescent green (light) with black work surfaces
Floor Dark Grey/slate black
- White walls
- Bannister rail
- Beige carpet
White tiled walls (with large mirrors upstairs)
White bath, basin and toilet
Light luminescent floors
- White with wood top surfaces
- Beige carpets
- Super King size double beds / Twins
- TVs (Remote handset) wall mounted and Ipod docking stations / clock radios (push button)
Wooden table and red leather padded chairs , booster cushions available.
Wooden swivel lock
Door opens outwards into the room
Cleaning equipment Iron and ironing board
- Sofas and Chairs
- Comfortable leather easy chairs
- Entertainment system
- Wifi router
- Remote controls for TV,DVD , CD
- Landline telephone at extra cost on request.
Ceiling mounted halogen bulbs Mood lighting from two floor /table lamps. Very variable lighting levels.
Lift up handle
Knob that needs to be turned to control airflow
Door opens outwards
Flooring black slate effect with colourful striped rug.
- Push down “pop-up” style toaster
- Push button operation
- Drop down door
- Baskets slide out
- Dial and push button controls
- Built in above worktop
Electric Hob and Oven (Range style)
- Dial controls
- Pull down door and door which swings to the left
Washer and Tumble dryer
- Dials and push button / rocker switch operation
Fridge and freezer both with outward opening doors
- stored in high level cupboards
Cutlery and glassware
- Stored in a in a floor-mounted low level cupboard in the dining room
Cooking utensils and glassware located in a drawer unit in the kitchen (soft close drawers)
Cooking knives located in a knife block on the work surface.
- Swan neck mixer tap with separate hot and cold screw taps
- Ceiling mounted halogen spotlights.
Dining room chairs
- Hard back chairs without armrests.
Stairs to the bedroom and bathroom
- Stairs- Dog leg
- Eleven steps
- Each approximately 8 inches in height
- Handrail on the right at the bottom and on the left going up the stairs
- A fixed retractable baby gate at the top of the stairs.
- Central emergency light over the stair well
- Controlled from switches at the top landing and the sitting room
- Four halogen spotlights
- Rocker switch outside the bathroom
- Hot and cold mixer taps
- Plug fixed swivel type
- Height of the bath 60cm from the floor
- Step down into the bath (40cm)
- Separate hot and cold screw taps (upstairs)
- Separate hot and cold screw taps and shower tap (downstairs)
- Click clack Plug
- Whirlpool jets operated by push button
- Flat glass screen hinges outwards
- Push button (economy / full flush)
- Ceiling mounted dimmable halogen lights
- Two bedside lights operated by touch bases
TV and DVD player
Smoke Alarms and emergency exit
- Audible types smoke alarm
- Emergency lighting in event of power failure greenish light to stairs as emergency exit.